My Warhammer Armies projects are behind schedule! Adepticon is next week… The local 40k team tournament at Total Escape games is the week after… And I’ve a 1000pt Imperial Guard army to paint in the mean time.
I’m making great progress on the Chimeras. I primed them with Army Painter Leather Brown. I used the airbrush to put a thin base coat of Scorched Earth on, and then dry brushed with Bestial Brown. Had a ton of problems with the airbrush. Two mistakes here. First, I was using some older paint and think it might have had some particles in it — never good for airbrush. Second, as I was cleaning up, I realized I only had the air canister valve half on! Bummer! Still, it came out fine.
Then I masked with blue tape. I should have used green Frog Tape, because its better, but I didn’t have any. The masking took FOREVER. I should have put many more stripes on, and longer. Working against my deadlines, though, may be making me a bit rushed.
Last night, I airbrushed the next layer of camouflage. I wanted to make sure I had good coverage, so I mixed Iyanden Darksun a bit thicker than usual for airbrush. This worked fine — and I had less problems with the airbrush this time, until I got to the last model and I think I was having problems getting chunks into the airbrush again. Never-the-less, it went on fairly quickly. When done, I mixed Bubonic Brown and Bleached Bone and drybrushed the Imperial Guard Chimeras. I left the masking on for this, and that worked brilliantly. The results are great.
Next steps are to clean up the brown — I always get some seepage under the tape, and then paint the non-camo’d bits. Wash the whole tank (well, all four). Then highlight. I’d usually add some paint chips and decals (transfers) then, but don’t think I’ll have time. I’ve got several Imperial Guards men to finish before Adepticon. Moreover, I’ve two command squads and three heavy weapons teams to paint before the teams tournament! Like I said, I’M SO FAR BEHIND!